Friday, April 27, 2007

My humiliating morning....

I should start off by saying that we are new homeowners. We bought this house, our first house, three years ago. Before that point I've always lived in apartments. And so has John. And when you live in an apartment and something isn't working right, you call the maintenance guy and he comes and waves his magic wand and makes it all right again. So there are certain things that people think we just *know*, that we just learned somehow buy osmosis,,,but because of our lack of home ownership experience and our completely un-handy nature we really *don't know*....like the fact that trees have to be trimmed back so the branches don't lay on your roof, that lawnmowers need to be tuned up like a car and have their blades sharpened, that you shouldn't pour grease down a sink or put potato peels in the garbage disposal, that refrigerator coils need to be cleaned, and that they have drip pans underneath them that catch drips for a reason and if you have a really old refrigerator that leaks often and you don't empty this pan you will have ooky stuff leaking out from under your refrigerator. All of these things, and many more, have made for some embarrassing visits with various repairmen...but this morning was the worst. The bathroom sink in our main bathroom has been running more and more slowly until it finally clogged up completely. I tried various dranos/liquid plumber concoctions with no results at all. This morning I finally called a plumber. We have plumbers over frequently. This is an old house, and all old houses have their issues...with this one, it's the plumbing. Anyway, every time I've called them I'm lucky if I can get them out here the same day. But this time when I called first thing this morning they said that yes, they would be able to make it out today. I was expecting them some time in the afternoon. Jack is sick today and so we were having a slow and lazy morning. I sat to finish my coffee and told Maria to get dressed and then straighten up the bathroom for me. I planned to mosey upstairs and get a shower myself at some point. My house was a wreck like it tends to be by the end of the week, and I figured I'd start straightening up as best I could and finish up during Jack's nap, well in time for the plumber to show. Well, lo and behold, the plumber shows up 20 minutes after I called. Nobody was dressed. Jack, in fact, who is currently just starting potty training, was completely naked. The house was, of course, still a wreck. I felt completely embarrassed and bum-like. But wait...it gets better. He disappears into the bathroom for about 5 minutes, them comes out and says he's done. He brings me back into the bathroom to show me that the little drain plug in the sink actually can be *removed completely* from the sink, and in fact should removed every so often because it was completely encased in a goopy, nasty hair clog that no doubt has been accumulating for at least three years. And then I paid him $88.64 for enlightening me.

2 comments:

Entropy said...

Oh, Melanie. *cyber hug*

Kelly said...

Well, at least its not just me these things happen to. :) I'm so sorry it was expensive though [relative to the service rendered!]

Kelly