Tuesday, May 18, 2010

stream of consciousness posting

1. I am going to post like this, in a numbered list, like I'm making rational points about something when really I'm not, I just feel like posting and have no set topic and can't organize my thoughts so I'm just going to spew them out here in really really long run on sentences.

2. I'm going to order an Ergo carrier today. I think. Some of John's family sent us a generous gift card and I'm paralyzed with thoughts of how to use it. Right now I'm torn between an Ergo and a double stroller. I have three carriers already. One is a ring sling, and it is my "on the go sling". It normally lives in the car. It folds up small and is quick to get Henry in and out of, and it has a really long tail that doubles wonderfully as a nursing cover up or a little tent to keep sun or wind off the baby, but it's not terrifically secure and I always feel like I need to keep readjusting him. I have a moby wrap (thanks Charlotte! :)), and that is my "at home" sling. It takes more time to put on (though I've gotten much quicker at it) and it's bulkier and hotter because it's a lot of fabric, but it holds him very securely and works wonderfully for toting him around and still keeping my hands free. And then I have a kirby backpack that I love to use, in and out of the house, when I have to hold a bigger baby/toddler for an extended period of time. I'd be all set, except that when they fall asleep in the kirby their little heads bob and fall all over the place. The ergo has those nifty little hoods that holds their heads up. There was a mom at our homeschool co-op that toted her 3yo around all afternoon while he napped in one of them. But is that worth $100 plus dollars? I don't know....

3. Henry is not gaining weight fast enough for the doctor. He was weighed at 3 weeks, last Friday, and still had not regained his birth weight. He nurses all the time, and he pees and poops plenty,,,he looks great to me! I have plenty of milk,,,oh, look, it's letting down now, well, that's just special, and do I have nursing pads on? Of course not! Sigh.....

4. SO, anyway, I'm back. He's not gaining weight fast enough, and so they want me to supplement with formula. When I acted less than thrilled with the idea, they gave me a bag full of samples to take home. I guess they thought I didn't want to spend the money. Well, I *am* pretty cheap, but that's not why I breastfeed, you know? So, I did what I always do when I can tell the doctor isn't listening to me. I nodded my head and took the bag and went home to do whatever I want. The church's food pantry will get the formula. I'm loading him up like a fatted calf this week, and we'll see what he weighs on Friday. That's when I have to go back.

And now I'm typing one-handed, so I'd better wrap this up. Nice chatting!

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Make sure you're eating well too, to keep your milk nice and fat! I'm sure he's just fine!

X said...

Slip a couple of lead weights in his diaper when they weigh him just to shut the doctor up.

My step-daughter is due in about a month. The doctors did an unprecedented third ultrasound on her because they kept telling her she was going to have a small baby. Um...she's 5'2" and maybe 115 lbs soaking we so do they really think she's going to have a 9 pounder? Anyway - 3rd ultrasound showed everything going normally and babe will probably be in the 7 lb range. Sometimes I want to kick baby doctors.

Erin said...

Prayers that your doctor's visit on Friday goes well! I guess they don't care that he is a big baby and therefore can probably afford to gain a bit slower? As long as he is gaining and not losing or staying the same, then he's probably just fine - he looks GREAT in those photos - so "alert," as everyone always said about my babies!

Carla said...

Go to Dr. Jack Newman's website and look at his instructions on "breast compressions" to enhance weight gain at feedings...a lifesaver for moms who want to avoid formula!

Maureen said...

Both of my kids had weight gain issues. My older one's resolved at 3 months. My younger one is 22.5 months old and 19 lbs, so obviously still an issue (he still breastfeeds... actually my almost 4 year old weaned this week). With the younger one in particular, I used a SNS and pumped breastmilk to put in it. I stopped after a while as it really wasn't helping. Kellymom.com was another source on the web for me for breastfeeding info. I hope things go well.

mel said...

Wow, Carla, that website is wonderful, thanks so much! I love the videos on it too...

Maureen, I love kellymom, she's a wonderful resource. I have been back on there with this baby. Nothing like a new baby to make you realize how little you know after all,just when you think you know all there is to know!

Kelly said...

Hey Mel, I may be answering too late to be helpful, but you can usually pick up a decent double stroller at most consignment sales for $10-20 dollars. I'd be tempted to buy the carrier you want [though I hated my Ergo and gave it away... LOL!] because it is much harder to find those second hand for cheap....

Sorry Henry isn't fattening up fast enough for them. I've had a couple of babies like that and the Peds drive you to distraction over it. Amazingly enough, both of them lived through it [without formula] and have no damage... ;)

mel said...

How come you didn't like your ergo? I still haven't ordered one...waffle, waffle...