Friday, May 11, 2007

Thou cursed meme....

I was inadvertently tagged by KC...but I love memes, and this one is sure different! I started out doing this during quick hydration break during my cleaning marathon and ended up taking much more time than I intended!

Here's the Meme--

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grab the nearest book.

Open it to page 161.
Find the fifth full sentence.
Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.
Don't search around looking for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, so I had some problems. First, I turned to the basket of library books within arms reach of my desk. It was...

---full of picture books from the library that don't have enough pages in them.

---I also found Just So Stories, and on page 161 there are only two sentences,,,really, really long Rudyard Kipling-ish run-ons,,

---and James Herriot's treasure for Children, in which the pages are UNNUMBERED, what is UP with that!!!

---So, being a giant meme dork, I counted through the James Herriot book to find page 161. I am a hard-core blogger, yo, that's how I roll. As I flipped through the book, I soon realized that at least half of the pages were just pictures with less than five sentences, if they had any words at all. Sure enough, page 161 yielded only a picture. Not to be deterred, I just looked at the following page, 162.There were only 4 sentences.

---Irritated with James Herriot for being so uncooperative, I tossed the book back into the basket, I turned around and the only other book in the whole *room* with at least 161 pages was Maria's history book, Pioneers and Patriots. Haha! So here's the sentence--
"All of the English settlements were east of the Appalachian Mountains."

--Well, that was disappointing. I was kinda hoping for something a little more profound. So I had a light bulb thought that the altar was in this room, and even though it was cheating, I went digging for something better. The BIBLE, hello, how deep can I be? I found page 161 in Deuteronomy. Uh oh.
"Then we turned and proceeded toward Bashan." Duet. 3:1

---Wow. Even God is being uncooperative. Then I remembered that, in this Bible, the page numbers actually start OVER again in the New Testament, so there are actually TWO p.161's. Surely the gem lies there...

"They certainly had knowledge of God, yet they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks; they stultified themselves through speculating to no purpose, and their senseless hearts were darkened." Romans 1:21

To this I have to say two thing---
--AMEN!
--And what does "stultified" mean anyway?

Back to dishes...

I tag Entropy and Kelly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. To render useless or ineffectual; cripple.
2. To cause to appear stupid, inconsistent, or ridiculous.
3. Law To allege or prove insane and so not legally responsible.

Signed, Angela (too lazy to sign in to blogger( Messenger

Kelly said...

Well, I have about 10 books lying around my computer desk here and they are all books I've reviewed for La Leche League and haven't mailed back yet. [Which is really awful of me. I have this weird almost phobia of the post office these days with 5 kids in tow....].

Anyway, the book that is actually touching my keyboard and thus the closest to me physically is "Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method" by Marie F. Mongan. Which I don't actually recommend it turns out. :)

But, here is the pearl of wisdom from the 5th sentence on page 161:

"A body that is properly hydrated releases urine that is the color of light lemonaid."

So there you go. :)

Kelly