Saturday, March 10, 2007

high aspirations/and the Room Upstairs

On the way to school yesterday---

Kain- Aunt Mel, I'm going to be an army guy when I grow up. I want to be the army sergeant guy that's in charge of the WHOLE army.

Me- So you want to be a soldier?

Kain- Yeah, the one that's in CHARGE.

Me- That would be a really special job to have.

Kain- Yeah, and I'd finally get to shoot a GUN!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom said once that my motto is "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." In true me-fashion, the project of reorganizing the upstairs school/playroom has morphed into this HUGE project. John and I have decided to move our bedroom to that upstairs room and move the playroom downstairs where our bedroom currently is. This is an enormous undertaking. Both room are very cluttered and overpacked with STUFF. I have so far purged and packed up the school stuff, shoved all the mounds of toys into the large bathroom up there, and now we are in the process of painting. That's right, painting. We have been slowly working on painting our fixer upper, and both of these rooms still need painting...what better time to do it, right? I picked out a spiffy golden yellow yesterday and Maria and I have been hard at work. Most people cringe at the thought of letting a 10yo help paint their house. Talk about a learning experience! But she's actually a great help and loves to paint,,,she's also small enough to get easily into the weird little crawl space areas of this finished attic room. After painting, we will move our essential bedroom stuff uptstairs and I will start the enormous job of sorting through all the junk in the former master bedroom. Oh, the fun that awaits...piles of outgrown baby clothes, all the junkity junk junk I have stashed there when company is coming...my housekeeping style is a little, um, creative...Then I will paint *that* room in a yet undetermined color and organize our school stuff down there. This was not an easy decision. I'm not particularly fond of being further away from the kids at night. But the upstairs room has such a peaceful atmosphere to it, and our current bedroom is so right in the middle of everything. There's a small balcony off the upstairs room, and I have visions of putting a couple of comfy outdoor chairs and some plants and having a lovely little private sitting room. Private, you know, except for the fact that it's completely visable to all the neighbors. :) Plus, it will give our homeschooling more flexibility if I am in the main part of the house. So, we are making the jump!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always put off dejunking as long as possible but once I start I go a bit crazy throwing stuff out. I like to watch organization shows on TV to get tips on how to sort stuff and store what is left better.