Friday, June 27, 2014

Dear Maria, week 3

Friday, 6/20...
Well, today was our last day of VBS. We survived another year. I got some hysterical video of Jack dancing. Krystina lead the music, and did a nice job!, and during parts of the songs she would tell the kids to use their favorite dance moves...well, Jack took her very seriously and developed this kind of charging move. Here's some pictures, but they don't do it justice...




It was crazy hair/shoe/hat day. I'm afraid I didn't do it justice,,,usually you are in charge of that. I ran out of time. Shocking, I know. So, we settled for wearing our slippers, see??

All except for Henry. One of his slippers was missing. So he wore a helmet from the dress up trunk instead.

I am WORN OUT. But it was a fun week. I had some good help in our group, and all the kids had fun. Even Mary had fun in the nursery. Here she is with a car,,she says, "Vroom! Vroom, honk!" really loudly!lol


Saturday, 6/21...
Just a Saturday at home...some cleaning, but never enough. Grocery shopping...I took Tess and Henry along and we got happy hour afterwards. Long overdue baths. pizza and movie night...we are watching How To Train Your Dragon, because that's the movie we missed last Tuesday. I forgot to tell you, we got your letter yesterday! It was so good to hear from you! I will try to remember to include Meme's address too. Her birthday is July 13th, if you get a chance to write her. How are your meds holding up? Spending money? It will be time to send your allowance when I mail this letter. Let me know if you need anything!

Mary Claire is talking more and more! She is very negative, which is all very two-ish. She says, "No,I not...Don't...uh-uh...stop..." lol. She copies everything she sees and hears from the older kids. Yesterday they all went running out to the backyard pool, and Jack said, "Last one there's a rotten egg!", and Mary jumped up and went running after them yelling, "EGG, EGG, EGG!"

Tess loved your little note for her. She was mad at me a little for ripping the envelope when I opened it though. So I told her that I would open your next letter very carefully so I could give her a nicer envelope to keep her note in.

Oh! Meme has a new puppy! I will tell her to write to you and send a picture so you can see him while he is still tiny. I still haven't seen him in person yet. We have been trying to go to the lake with them since Father's Day, but first we were sick, and now they are sick...

Sunday, 6/22...We went to Latin mass today. jack was in rare form. His mass behavior is just getting worse and worse, no matter which mass we go to. It was the feast of Corpus Christi, so there was a procession after, and don't you know he was just THRILLED about THAT! We packed our bathing suits and food and such and drove out to the lake right after mass. It was a great day, but very crowded. I won't go on a weekend again!




The high note was when we were loading up. It was so crowded, and we were trying to load up and keep eyes on all the kids and Jack said he just Absolutely Had to Go to the Bathroom. Right Now. Well, dad was down on the beach gathering stuff and keeping and eye on Tess and Henry who were still swimming.And I was putting stuff in the van and needed to stay with Mary who was already in her car seat. I could just barely see the bathrooms from the van. So I did something I rarely do.I let him go to the bathroom alone. I was very uncomfortable about it, I worry about his safety in public bathrooms, so I was watching anxiously when I caught site of him walking down the hill to the van...with no swim trunks on. Uh huh. Well, he had a rash guard on, thank God, which kinda sorta covered almost everything, but it was pretty obvious he had nothing on underneath. And I just laid my head on the van and sighed. cuz what are you gonna do? He had his trunks in his hand. They had gotten twisted up and he couldn't get them straight. Goodness.




Monday, 6/23...mostly a day at home working on STUFF. Tess had dance, her last class of the year. I almost didn't go. It was a struggle getting out the door for many reasons, not the least of which was that Henry and Mary had fallen asleep, and it was pouring buckets. There was an accident on the highway, and we got there seriously late. Like, stupidly late. But it was her last class,so I wanted her to be able to go and say goodbye and all. Well, she fell asleep in the van on the way and got all weird when I woke her up to go in, and she wouldn't dance or anything, just sat on the chair sucking her fingers. So. That was the last day. And that's when I decided we aren't going back until she really wants to do it, you know?


Tuesday, 6/24...The day I lost my mind. I'm not even kidding. The kids have been pretty much having a free for all since we finished school...no schedule or anything, and as usual it starts getting a little Lord of the Flies around here. Have you read that yet? Remind me to put it on your list, you will love it. Anyway, I took them to see Kung Fu panda at the movie theater,

and then after that they literally spent the entire day running around making each other scream on purpose all day long. Just, feral children, really. So, I got ticked off and realized I needed to take some control back. I sat down with some postits and made a little schedule...kinda like our school schedule, but much looser, no times or anything...more like an order of events, really. I gave them time twice a day to help mom with chores, time for crafts, read alouds, some fun stuff, little screen time, etc. And it is working fabulously! Big difference. Of course, many days we have something fun to go and do and so we don't do everything on the board, but at least there is plenty there for when we are home. Jack calls it the "slavery board". ha!

Wednesday, 6/25...We were at home all day and tried out the new schedule, and it was lovely. I did have an evening class. Me! I sat in your room and had an adobe class! It was a parent's version of the health class you will be taking in the fall...great stuff. To take this two hour class while dad was at work, I fed them dinner early, set them up with a movie, and hoped for the best. I had to come out a couple of times, but it wasn't too bad. Well, afterwards I found out that Jack had hacked up the edge of the counter with a butter knife. A butter knife!Also, he cut the clothes off of Tess's Boo doll. Enter next destructo phase.



Thursday, 6/26...Today we went to the library. I haven't told you about the library shows, you know those Thursday afternoon shows they do? The first week was a juggling show..and today's show was a Didgeridoo show. It was pretty good. They were getting pretty distracted at times, and it felt like the guy was trying to teach them about everything, you know? Like, save the planet, don't be a bully, and eat fruits and vegetables...dude, it's an hour long show, pick a topic already! But the music was cool, and overall it was very fun.

Friday,6/27...I'm supposed to mail this today! But you called last night and needed some things, so I will send it tomorrow after I go to the store. We have been taking it easy today. Dad has been working horribly long hours,,,he is really fried. They have hired some more help, so once they are trained and working hopefully that will get better. Oh! Dad found two little robin fledgelings in the yard, right under the bathroom window near the air conditioner. There was a third dead one nearby, and so of course we were worried about Jesse or the cats finding them. So, dad nailed that birdhouse onto the pine tree by the bathroom window for them. Well, it was too small. We left the front open and kind of put them in there, but they are very active and they fell out. So,then we got a small box and duct taped it to the tree, see?


See the birdie there in the corner? He's in front of the duct tape so he is kinda hard to see. The other guy is in there too. You can see them from the bathroom window. The mom has been coming by to feed them. So far they haven't gotten out. Eventually they will I guess, and we will just have to hope they learn to fly quickly. They are very cute, and very LOUD. Henry loves them. He also is really into collecting bugs lately...


Henry's bug house.

Well, that's it for this week! We managed to get Tess back into another swim lesson, and this time it is paid for too, and it is the same session that Jack is in. So, it actually worked out well. It will be a lot easier to have them go on the same mornings. Next week, more of the same, but also the Fourth of July on Friday already! A meatless fourth of July? Yikes! I'm curious to know if ya'll stay meatless on the fourth, lol. We will be. We debated doing another penance, but you know, I really like to save that for when I have no choice, like when we are eating with other people or something. It doesn't seem like much of a penance when you ditch it when it gets hard! Still...the Fourth with no ribs...seems unAmerican...










No comments: