Saturday, July 05, 2014

Dear Maria, week 4

Is everyone surviving these loooong weekly posts? Just a few more!
........................................................................
Dear Maria,

Helloooo! By the time you get this, it will be about one month until we finally see you again! You are about halfway through the summer now. It's hard to believe, yes? Next week I will send a care package with some special halfway done goodies....so if there is anything you would like, or anything you are running low on...

So, this week....I was not good about keeping up with this letter daily, so this is from memory, with the help of facebook...

Saturday, June 28th...Oh, the drama! The angst! Henry fell and split his chin.

No wound pictures, sorry.
It is tiny, yes, but surprisingly deep and the edges were gaping. He had pulled a pillowcase down over his body and was running around, you see, so when he fell he couldn't catch himself. This all went down while I was at the store grocery shopping. Dad texted me at the store and said, "Hey, where do we keep the gauze?" haha! So, here I am at walmart and Dad is sending me pictures of Henry's chin and we are trying to decide what to do about it. Dad had to work that evening, and I desperately had to finish getting groceries. I had put it off for a couple of days and we were desperately out of everything.So...long story short, he ended up being a bit late for work. I finished shopping, went home, we bathed Henry because we knew he wouldn't be able to have a bath for several days once he was fixed up...can't get stitches wet...and I took Henry to the ER. They ended up just gluing and steristripping him, and he handled it very well. I promised him a candy bar from the vending machines afterwards, and he was very impressed with that.

Sunday, June 29th...Our birdies survived a big rainstorm, but their home wasn't looking so good. Today was the feast of Sts. peter and paul, so that's what we named them! They got so big so quickly, every day they looked noticeably bigger. Here is one of them looking ready to try and fledge again! Nothing much else today. Mass, of course, and Dad worked. pray for Dad. They are short staffed and he has been working himself to death. I hope they get some help soon.

Monday, June 3th...Our hottest day, in the 90's, and So. Very. Humid. Our birdies fledged! First one, and soon after the other. Here one is in the yard...the Mom was nearby scolding me from the fence. I didn't see them after this. Goodbye, peter and paul!

In other news, we stayed cool with icecream....

fudgsicle face...

And board games inside....

And goofy themed snacks...

Tuesday, July 1st...the big news of the day...I talked Dad into watching Dr. Who! He loves it! It's very slow going, because we can only watch it twice a week while he is off, but it's been fun. Today was also movie day, and I took Jack, Tess, and Henry to see Kung Fu panda 2.

Wednesday, July 2nd...Just a day at home. Jack had therapy, and I had my health class that evening. No one hacked up anything this time. Instead, they all (except Jack( fell asleep on the couch and had a nice catnap before bedtime. So. Long, long evening for me.

Thursday, July 3rd...Well, this day was so beautiful, weather wise...we had a cold front! The high was around 80, and it was loooovely. I had the brilliant idea to take advantage of it and go berry picking, but because of our bad night we weren't even all awake until 9.30, and if you don't get out there early they are sold out. So, we ended up meeting some St. Gabe friends at Gully park. It was a lot of fun. When we were heading out, Jack talked me into playing in the gully, and they loooved it...


..so fun, trying to catch waterbugs, throwing rocks. What is it about kids and throwing rocks into water?


Friday, July 4th...Of course, this was a big day! Here's a Jack quote, first off...

Me.."The Fourth of July is America's birthday."
Jack.."Does that make the other countries cry?"
Me..."Um...no...why would they cry?"
Jack..."Because it's not their birthday."

Meme and papa came over and we had breaded and skillet fried tilapia, veggies, deviled eggs, potato salad, baked beans, fruit kabobs that the littles made....

No meat. Ice cream cones, like last year, remember these?

And a sugar cookie flag instead of a flag cake...

We all commented about how scandalized you would be that I used red grapes instead of strawberries. Well, there's a good reason. I had plans to get some strawberries at the store after we went to the park on Thursday, but they kids got all wet and muddy. So, we came home, cleaned up and such, then went back out to the store...and they were SOLD OUT. I was crushed. But there was NO WAY I was going to another store, ha! So, red grapes it was.

The kids wore their painted tshirts to fireworks and the girls got a lot of attention for their little matching outfits. They were very sweet.

We missed you a lot. Meme kept saying how weird it was that you weren't there. She brought the puppy and the kids were just in orbit over him. And, well...I'm thinking again about getting another dog. I know it's crazy, I know I'll regret it, but Jesse had so much fun with another dog around. He was just grinning from ear to ear.

We were wondering how your 4th was. It was the last day of the 2nd fest, right? That means you are off this week, enjoy! We love and miss you a bunch and can't wait for August! I hear that Mary Claire is awake, so I'd better wrap this up and mail it off while I can.










No comments: