Monday, November 11, 2013

My inept attempt at a Veteran's Day post

I am not a veteran. I am not married to one now. I was, when I was very young, married to a very young private that was stationed in Iraq for a few months. My father is one, and he was active when I was very young, so young that I have no memory of it. My grandfather was a marine, a proud one (is there any other?). And my husband now works taking care of aging vets. That is the extent of my military experience. So I feel kind of stupid in a post like this, trying to give appreciation to someone who's sacrifices I know I can't even really grasp. I hope it's enough to know that I *do* try to grasp them, and you are loved and thought of today for what you do and have done.

A long time ago I did some research on some lyrics to patriotic songs I remembered learning as a child, wanting to teach them to my own children, and I was impressed by how God-fearing these lyrics were. I think I even blogged about it back then. I was doing this again today. Here's the last verse to the Star Spangled Banner:

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

How about "O Beautiful":


America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

"The Battle Hymn of the Republic" is just one big hymn, really:

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

My personal favorite, a verse from "My Country Tis of Thee":

Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King.


Are kids even allowed to learn these lyrics in public school today? I'll bet not. How very far we have fallen, and how quickly! I learned these lyrics in public school not that very long ago. Those long ago veterans must be rolling in their graves. May God shower blessings on our veterans, and have mercy on our country.

No comments: