Monday, April 28, 2008

tick tock, tick tock

Time is ticking away towards my due date, but I'm doing well on my list, so that's really motivating.

The first weekend I finished moving Jack into Kain's room. This meant shoveling out the tiny closet in there, which had been used for storage, piling all that junk in the dining room, and moving most of Kain's clothing onto the top rod. I left just his socks, underwear, and pajamas in a couple of the dresser drawers. Then I moved Jack's clothing to the bottom rod and drawers. I also moved in warm weather clothes and purged outgrown cold weather clothes. I hung a couple of hooks in the closet for robes and backpacks, and put a couple of plastic crates on the closet floor for each boy's shoes.

Then there was the matter of all the storage stuff...the far more painful part of the weekend. I had all the junk from Kain's closet already. Then I emptied out the large, overstuffed, hard to use closet that runs under the stairs. This is the first time I have done this since we moved in....four years ago. It was gruesome. I swept it all out and ended up with a dining room full of dusty baby equipment, disorganized boxes of holiday decorations, suitcases, bags, and other seldom used things. I purged through and threw away EIGHT kitchen trashbags full of stuff, added bigger things to the growing castoff pile in the garage, and set some things aside to give to the local thrift store. I set the baby equipment I was keeping in a pile for the kids and John to move upstairs. Then I organized all the holiday decorations worth keeping. Back into closet went a modest collection of sterlite boxes with the decorations, some backpacks on a hanger, the folding card table, the suitcases, and the cat carrier. Much, much better.

So that was last weekend. This past weekend was time to clean our master bedroom and make room for Peanut. This bedroom now had a big pile of baby equipment, over a dozen sterlite boxes of not currently being worn kids clothes that I'd already purged through on different day, currently unused schoolbooks, and general mess and clutter. I purged through the room, especially our overgrown movie collection. I rearranged furniture, finding better places for the vanity and other furniture and I moved all the boxes of clothing and baby equipment over on one far wall to make room for painting the last 1/3 of the room this coming weekend. John helped me set up the crib, sidecar style against my side of the bed. It looks very nice up there, or will once the painting is done and things are all in place.

In other news, I spent Saturday night having some decently strong, regular contractions for about three hours. I even called my mom to put her on possible "something might be going on, keep the phone by your bed" alert...but they went away. They came back Sunday night, but for a shorter time, I didn't even bother timing them or anything. I've hand handfuls of them here and there today, but nothing impressive. I am obviously nesting a bit, as evidenced by the fact that I have done more cleaning and purging in the last couple of weeks than I have in the last couple of years, in spite of my aching back and hips. I continue to be extremely huge and uncomfortable and wouldn't feel badly at all to have the baby a couple of weeks early, even if it's before the bedroom gets painted. I'm just saying.

But, I guess if I don't get the bedroom finished now, with the whole nesting thing going on, it might be another couple of years before it gets done...

1 comment:

Entropy said...

Good for you getting all that done. I hope you didn't move that furniture by yourself...

Remember to take it easy so you won't be exhausted already when you go into labor!