Monday, April 23, 2012

random thoughts

I'm tired of daybooks.... Let's just write, shall we? Blogger has changed my format. This is really throwing me off. I am still feeling panicked here. The last couple of weeks have been very busy. The next three weeks or so promise more of the same. I really, really need a few days to get some things done around here...things that really need to be done before the baby comes, you know? Not weird pregnant-woman things like cleaning blinds and light fixtures. Things like giving the bathrooms a thorough cleaning and unpacking baby stuff. I was kinda counting on the next few weekends to help me out with that, but it doesn't look like that is going to work out. During the week, it seems to be all I can do to keep up with school and chores and life. Not sure what to do about that. Maria has a feis this weekend. The following weekend is her confirmation. Then Mother's Day weekend follows that. So far, we are clear after that. Think my luck will hold out? Think my back will hold out? Henry's birthday is today. I wonder if anyone realizes this but me? We aren't celebrating today. John is working all day. We had a busy weekend this past weekend too, so we will be officially celebrating on Sunday after the feis. He's too young, of course, to realize that today is his actual birthday, and I'm not going to make a to do about it because I'm afraid of confusing the matter. Besides, I'm not prepared to do anything about it. Originally we were supposed to have had his party by now, but the weather didn't cooperate. Next Sunday may not cooperate either, but with everything going on it's the best I've got. It's just as well we didn't plan anything today. It's not going to be much of a day for him. On Saturday night, he broke out in hives. I found them when I was getting him ready for bed...all over his upper legs. He'd never had them before. We gave him some Benadryl, but by the time it started working the hives had spread up his back and arms. The Benadryl worked nicely and I hoped that was the end of it. But very early Sunday morning the hives were back,,,worse! Long story a bit shortened, all morning/early afternoon we did this, and by the third dosing of Benadryl it became clear that this wasn't working. The hives came back after only three hours that time, and he was covered with them, from head to toe. Face, hands, feet, diaper area, everywhere. I took him to the ER. They gave him a shot of epinephrine and a shot of steriods and that all helped, but the doctor said it would take a couple of days to completely clear up and to keep giving him benadryl. We are. The hives keep coming back, but not as bad. Still, he's cranky and itchy and drugged up. Not been a fun couple of days. I peeked at him in his crib this morning, and they are still there. Sigh. We have no idea what's causing them. He has a well-child visit scheduled tomorrow, so if they are still around then at least his regular doctor can give her opinion. From what I've read, anything at all can cause hives...a food, contact irritation, insect bites, viruses...we may never know what caused it. Ok, he's awake now, so I'm going to go love on my birthday boy who doesn't know he's two today! Can't find spellcheck on this new layout. Grr...

1 comment:

Lisa Boyle said...

Happy Birthday to your little sweetie! I can't believe he's 2 already! Wow! :-) I sure hope he's feeling better soon. You can return to the old format. I did. There is some button somewhere. I wish I knew where I found it. I couldn't stand the new format, either. But, look around, there is a choice to go back. :-))))