Sunday, August 02, 2009

How we are doing.....

Hello there!

We are still here. I am behind on my computer stuff again, including my blog reader, so I hope everyone out there is well too. We are starting school tomorrow, so hopefully getting back into a routine will allow me some time to catch up. Ironically...the more we need to do in a day, the more we seem to get done.

We've had a nice summer break. I've been meaning to post, but we've been preoccupied a bit. We are in the process of having Jack evaluated for some language/motor/social skill issues,,,,basically, he is being evaluated for possibly being on the autism spectrum. This has been a difficult time, and a busy one. I borrowed a load of books from a friend of mine and have been reading and stewing and mostly kicking myself for not realizing how bad some of his little "quirks" have gotten. We've taken him to our pediatrician, and he agreed that he needs further evaluation, so I'm in the process of filling out a giant packet of intake paperwork for a nearby clinic that does such evaluating. It will be a while before we know anything else. This is the same clinic that Kain goes to, and I remember we had to wait a few months for his first appointment. If you could keep my little Jack-man in prayer, that would be wonderful. The hardest part for me is that Jack is so totally different with other people than he is with us. No one else gets to see what we see. He is sweet and loving and so, so incredibly smart in so many ways. We've just become so used to his ways, his odd behaviors, and we know how to communicate with him and draw him out, and we are realizing that everyone else sees a very different Jack. We really just thought he was brilliant and introverted and quirky...like his Dad. But it looks like it's more complicated than that.

Anyway, so there's that. Tomorrow, or Tuesday, I'll be back with a report and pictures of our first day of school!

4 comments:

J.C. said...

Mel, be assured of prayers from this end... God bless!

Aimee said...

My prayers are with Jack.

That paperwork can be exhausing can't it? We just had our daughter evaluated for dyslexia and I had to fill out tons of paperwork, both as her teacher and her parent!

Have a good first day of school. Ours starts in 5 minutes!

Mary @ tinyprayers said...

My prayers are with you.

Charlotte said...

Mel,
Please don't kick yourself. A lot of the evaluation is based on "parental observation." Make sure that the dx really fits...not just on his 'worst days' but really fits. Try to present a total picture of who Jack is. It's so easy to focus on the things on the ASD list and overlook his 'normal' behavior. You're a good mother and Jack will be fine with you to care for him.